The SmartRivers 2017 Conference in Pittsburgh, PA, brought together 200 of the world’s top professionals involved in inland/river transportation. The technical program included over 120 presentations on topics ranging from hard infrastructure, the environment and the provision of information to support logistics.
GateHouse Maritime had the privilege of making a presentation on the “Analysis and Dissemination of Information in Support of e-Navigation” which can be summarized by the following:
- Large volumes of data are being collected that must be structured/organized for analysis purposes using the latest toolsets,
- Importance of analyzing the data to extract information,
- The value of the information is defined/determined by the client
- Appropriate information drives decision making, and the
- Importance of providing access to the information in a standardized, non-proprietary fashion
The presentation was well received as hot topics at the conference included the importance of mining AIS data to help determine inefficiencies in the inland system, calculating accurate travel times to support integrated logistics, and building the River Information Service infrastructure utilizing standardized information.
GateHouse Maritime also exhibited at SmartRivers 2017. This provided us with the opportunity to demonstrate our capabilities in AIS data analytics for calculating travel times/ETAs, determining the recommended track for navigation on the system, vessel traffic anomaly detection and pattern analysis. The applicability of the GateHouse Maritime platform was apparent to professionals in attendance across academia, government/authorities and commercial market segments.